Help Transform the Bustop “Gentleman’s Club” to Affordable Housing and an Art Space
Good news! The Bustop “Gentleman’s Club” on North Broadway is undergoing a transformation to affordable housing and a nearly 3,000-square-foot art space that will be managed by the NoBo Art District. (Three cheers?!)
To celebrate and help usher this transition in, we’re planning to hold a big, community pre-demolition event. Can you help?
First off, mark your calendar, come celebrate with us, and invite your friends:
Date: Saturday Sept. 29
Time: approx 5 to 7 pm (final time TBD)
Location: On site at the Bustop, 4871 Broadway, Boulder
Secondly, we are looking for:
- Dancers of every size, shape, age…
- People willing to be photographed for a Construction Fence Art project and other possible exhibits of this historic occasion
- Visual artists, (live painters and wheat-pasters)
- Logistical planning and on-the-ground help
This will be a free community event with music, dance, art-making and photography to launch an Art for the Construction Fence project. The construction fence will likely be up for 18 months, and we’d like everyone in the community to see how this place is being transformed. The event will include:
- Fun, shake-your-booty, free dancing in the streets kind of dance, and
- The Mmmwhah! Ensemble
- Conscious Burlesque
- Possibly other troupes???
How you can help:
- Mmmwhah! is looking for dancers of all ages, sizes, genders, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, ability, etc to be a part of a piece being created by Mmmwhah!
- We’re also coordinating other dance troupes and performance artists who would like to perform in keeping with this theme.
Contact Merlyn Holmes, Founder of Mmmwhah! and recently retired NoBo Art District Board Member email@example.com
Live Music: By Mmmwhah! Ensemble members Bill McCrossen, Brian Mullins, Dexter Payne, and James Hoskins who can provide a range of music from the free improvisation they often do with Mmmwhah! to Jazz / Brazilian Jazz, Classical, Balkan, Funky-groove, etc. There could well be space for other musicians who want to play as well. We hope to have music indoors and outdoors. Can you help? Contact Merlyn Holmes firstname.lastname@example.org
Photography: To launch the Construction Fence Art Project with a theme of “Portraits of NoBo,” we will be shooting portraits and event pictures of artists and neighbors along the lines of John Mireles’ “Neighbors” project.
- Come be photographed. Artists, feel free to bring props or clothing, etc. suggestive of what you do.
- Photographers are also invited to document this historic event and shoot photos and videos for the website, social media and possible future exhibits.
Can you help? Contact Karen Dombrowski-Sobel, NoBo Art District Board Member, email@example.com
Painting and Wheat-pasting: Wouldn’t it be great to tack huge canvases to the walls and paint murals on them or to erect large wheat-pasting boards, and create art that can be used on the construction fence or elsewhere around NoBo?
Can you help?
- For painting, contact Sue Wallingford, Founder of Boulder Art Therapy Sue.Wallingford@gmail.com
- For wheat-pasting, contact Lisa Nesmith, President of NoBo Art District, firstname.lastname@example.org
General logistics: arranging food trucks, helping to get supplies, posting flyers/extending the invite, etc.
- We could really use a point person or team for this. Is that you?
- Or, be a general helper?
Can you help? Email Merlyn at email@example.com
This event is a collaboration between
- Mmmwhah! Music, Movement, Mindfulness – whoa! and – Art
- NoBo Art District
- Thistle Housing
- Allison Management
- Boulder Art Therapy Collective
- Conscious Burlesque
- BAHRI, research unit in CU’s Department of Geography
- City of Boulder
- Partners in Social Justice
- CU dancers
- and ______________ Can you help? Here’s an open invitation to others who would like to be invested in the transformation of this site. Contact Merlyn firstname.lastname@example.org.
To stay in the loop on this as plans unfold and to receive direct invites to events NoBo Art District events and Mmmwhah’s music, movement, mindfulness, and art-making events visit www.noboartdistrict.org and www.mmmwhah.com/subscribe.