The Mission of the NoBo Art District is to enrich and advance the arts in Boulder through educational activities and engagement that promote the role of artists and creatives in our community.
Membership is open to all – individuals, artists, creative businesses and patrons of the arts. Our signature event, NoBo First Friday Artwalk takes place in many locations around North Boulder and beyond. The NoBo Art District supports all forms of creative expressions and the collective effort to connect with and build community. New and returning members are welcome!
Who we are:
The NoBo Art District is an inclusive, grassroots, community-focused organization dedicated to promoting artists and creative businesses located along Broadway and the adjoining neighborhoods in north Boulder, Colorado. The NoBo area is characterized by upscale, mixed-use new urbanism, high-end restaurants and shops, and a mix of funky, artist-friendly warehouses. The NoBo Art District creates opportunities for artists to connect with each other and the broader community promoting engagement through art, education and events. To read about the history of NoBo Art District and its founders please visit our FAQS page.
What we do:
- Create a dynamic and supportive environment for Boulder’s artists by sponsoring First Friday events, hosting open meetings and connecting with artists outside our area.
- Fulfill the need for a sense of community, and connection by hosting art projects like the PLACE Project, NoBo Little Libraries and the Piano Project in our neighborhoods.
- Initiate a public arts program through place-making and public engagement, creating a vital street-scape enlivened by sculpture, lighting and other art installations.
Thanks to the generous funding from our Sponsors. Our projects are funded (or funded in part) by grants and support from the Boulder Arts Commission and the Boulder County Arts Alliance.
Words Describing North Boulder from Community Members:
Alive • First Friday Art • active • bikers • artists’ haven • gritty • excitement • beautiful, radiant, dramatic light • innovative • creative spirit • casual atmosphere • cauldron of opportunities • community • contemporary • crossroads • contrasts in new and old • urban • off beat • potential • developing open opportunities • scrappy • vintage • good restaurants • inclusive • individualistic • inviting • less crowded • unique to our city • multi-dimensional • old, but so NEW! • new restaurants, shops • old strip mall • quirky • really needs some public ART!
What a Journey!
We gratefully thank you for your past commitments of time, energy, and financial support. The NoBo Art District is an inclusive, grass-roots, community-focused arts organization whose Mission is to:
“Enrich and advance the arts in Boulder through educational activities and engagement that promote the role of artists and creatives in our community”.
Just a few of the goals we accomplished:
- IT”S OFFICIAL! The NoBo Art District received official creative district designation from the City of Boulder!
- Received 501(c)(3) IRS Determination, 100% of your donation is tax deductible!
- Recognized by Expedia Travel as a place to explore in Boulder, one of the top artistic towns in America: https://viewfinder.expedia.com/features/americas-artistic-towns/
- Installed our new Welcome Mural in NoBo, painted by Christopher Warren
- Completed a study for the feasibility of forming a NoBo Business Improvement District
- Received one of 10 Operational Grants from the City of Boulder Office of Arts and Culture
- Received a Boulder County Arts Alliance project grant for tents, lighting and signage to expand artist presence on First Friday
- Received the highly competitive and prestigious Colorado Creates Grant from Colorado Creative Industries
- Organized dozens of events and exhibits including our Annual NoBo Group Show and our long-running event the NoBo First Friday Artwalk.
Just wait until you see what we have planned next!
You helped make this happen! THANK YOU!
Board of Directors
Lisa Nesmith, President
Jeff Hiller, Treasurer
Barbara Yates Beasley, Secretary
Karen Dombrowski-Sobel, Board Member
Michael Deragisch, Board Member
Karen Lester, Board Member
Paul Morrison, Board Member
Jerry Shapins, Board Member
Christopher Warren, Board Member